The AOL Scholarship Competition is a $6,000 scholarship, $1,500 awarded annually (if student qualifies and is approved by the Scholarship committee) to Oregon high school seniors or current college students who intend to pursue a four-year college or university education and a career in a forest resource reproduction field of study. Field of study examples: Forest Management, Forest Engineering and Forest Products
Each candidate must submit:
*The AOL Scholarship Application Form Non Member Scholarship Application w Competition Info (1)
- An original essay on “What challenges do you see in the field of logging and what are your views on meeting the challenges” not to exceed three pages, handwritten or typed.
- High school transcripts
- SAT or ACT scores
- Letter of Acceptance to 4 Year College – The College must be accredited by the Society of American Foresters, www.safnet.org/education/recognition.cfm.
- Field of Study or Major
Candidate will be selected on the basis of the following criteria:
- Candidate’s studies and experiences as they relate to chosen field of interest.
- Scholastic performance in all classes as it relates to success in higher education (GPA).
- SAT or ACT scores.
- Thought process, grammatical usage and capability to express self in the essay.
- Legibility, neatness and accuracy of information submitted.
The potential contribution of the student in a forest resource production related field is the important issue. Financial need of the student is NOT a criterion for selection. The selection of the winner will be made by the AOL Scholarship Committee, which are members of the association.
Applications must be received on or before: APRIL 1, 2020
Associated Oregon Loggers, Inc.
PO Box 12339
Salem, OR 97309-0339
Selection is usually made by reviewing the items submitted. However, we could ask a finalist to be interviewed by the Selection Committee.
Notification of Winner: MAY 31, 2020
All entries will be acknowledged. The actual financial award will be paid to the college or university prior to September 1st. The winner will be invited to attend the scholarship luncheon held during AOL’s Annual Convention in January.